Welcome to our Reception Class
Here you will find lots of important information regarding your child starting school in September to view and download. Please check this page regularly for updates.
Here is a small tick list of things, that if your child can master before they start school would be great (but don’t panic if they can’t!)
• Put on their own coat
• Use the toilet independently and ask to go there
• Please teach boys to use a urinal
• Tidy up after themselves
• Recognise their own name (please let Mrs. March know if your child’s name is abbreviated in any way)
• Try to use a knife and fork
• Share toys and equipment
• Handle a pencil
• Sing some nursery rhymes
• Practise counting to 10
• Be able to listen to a story
• Dress and undress themselves
How can I help my child prepare for school?
• Encourage your child to be as independent as possible even if it takes far longer to get them ready.
• Get them used to a routine of reasonably early to bed and up early enough for your child to have a stress free time to get ready for school.
• Never threaten them with school! Be positive. Reception is a fun place to be!
What can I do with my child before they start school?
• Give your child as many varied experiences as possible: drawing, painting, cooking, singing, making models, playing games, jigsaws etc.
• Get them used to: pencils, crayons, felt pens, chalks, paints, play dough, scissors.
• Share stories, books and rhymes.Read to them.
• Count everything and share things out.
• Talk to them all the time!
Is Your Child Ready for School Guide
Starting School Checklist
In Reception we like to do lots of different things and may not stick to a rigid timetable, but our day does have some structure to it. We don’t encourage the children to bring toys to school; we simply don’t have the room to keep them! If however your child has a ‘comforter’ which needs to be in school too, we can find a special place for it.
When your child starts with us in September, we would like to follow this routine;
As this is a very special day for your child (and you as parents) we would like to invite you to bring your child into their classroom to see where they will be learning (please could buggies be left outside as it becomes a bit of a squash in the classroom).
Please feel free to take photographs of your child; this is a milestone event in their lives.
Please don’t worry about first day tears, the children are always absolutely fine.
We like to settle the children into a normal morning routine as soon as possible, we would ask you to bring your children onto the infant playground and help them to line up. Mrs. March will be there to meet your child and answer any questions you may have.
Please wait with your child on the playground until the bell goes at which point say your goodbyes and let your child line up. Mrs. March will again be on hand to answer any questions or worries you may have.
You are your child’s first educators and we greatly value any input, opinions and information you can share with us about your child. It helps us get to know them that little bit faster.
As a school we provide many opportunities for you to be involved with your child’s time at school.
• End of topic celebrations where you are invited into the classroom to celebrate the learning of your child and to share their learning journeys
• We welcome parent helpers into the classroom, if you have any free time, we can find lots of jobs for you!
• Parent helpers on school trips. We love going on school trips with reception, these would not be possible with help from parents.
• Class web page updated regularly with topic webs and pictures of what we have been up to.
• We have a very active and welcoming PTFA who are always looking for new members. Please visit the FOLSS website for more information.
We are always around before and after school to discuss and worries or concerns you may have about your child.
All About Me
What your child needs to wear
• At the end of the school day please do not enter the school site before 3pm.
• The children will come out from the middle white door under the canopy and will remain with Mrs. March until we identify you and send your child to you.
• Please inform us if someone different is collecting your child.
• If we are unsure that it is ok for your child to go with a different adult, we will keep your child with us until we verify who is here for your child and you are happy for your child to go with them.
Day 1 – Week 1
Collection of the children 12.15pm. Please do not enter the site before 12 noon.
Collection of the children 1.15pm. Please do not enter the site before 1pm.
Collection of the children 3.15pm Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Please do not enter the site before 3pm.
Collection of the children 1.15pm Tuesday and Thursday. Please do not enter the site before 1pm.
Collection of the children 3.15pm. Please do not enter the site before 3pm.