Leonard's 'Stay Safe, Stay Home' Learning Zone
Here you will find a list of subject specific and general activity ideas and resources to view and download. Please check this page regularly for updates.
Hello our fabulous Year 2’s!
What another amazing week! As always, we are so proud of all you and it has been wonderful to see all the great things you love doing! Well done 🙂
Here is your learning for the last week of this term. Try your best and and don’t forget to join in our Zooms, with your white-boards, at 11am every morning.
Lots of love to you all.
Keep smiling and stay safe 🙂
Miss Bahia and
Reading – highest priority!
• We have sent reading books and a couple of extra library books home. Children can read these and any other books you can get your hands on! Ask questions about what they have read to check their understanding.
• Complete reading comprehension activities like the examples in this pack.
• Try to include some story time where your child is read aloud to by an adult or an older child.
• Check out Oxford Owl as you can sign up to read e-books for free and these are matched to book bands too.
• Nessy is a wonderful resource to help your child with reading and spelling – this is highly recommended!
• Phonics Play
• Spelling key words is tricky so as much practise as possible please! See the list in the packs. Children can practise writing these in many ways, e.g. making playdough letters, ‘painting’ them outside using water instead of paint, etching them in a sand tray etc.
• Practise forming letters correctly – especially ensuring that the letters are sat on the line, that all the small letters are the same height and that the tall letters are all the same height too, and twice the height of the small letters.
• Complete the enclosed short writing tasks or write for many different purposes, e.g. write a recipe or a letter for a friend, write a story or a poem.
• When writing, Year 2 children need to:
o Spell words using their phonic knowledge and spell key words from the Year 1 list correctly.
o Use capital letters at the start of EVERY sentence and for names.
o Use full stops, exclamation marks, question marks and commas in lists.
o Use adjectives to describe nouns and therefore make their writing much more exciting.
o Extend their sentences using conjunctions, e.g. and, so, but, because, or, if, when, until.
o Read their writing back and edit it to make sure that it includes the above features.
• Complete the enclosed activities. See the Arithmetic methods to see some ways children have been taught to solve calculations using jottings.
• Help children to mark their work and talk to them about any mistakes they have made.
• Practise Times Tables Rockstars regularly (their username and password is on their Reading Record) – www.ttrockstars.com
• Practise reading the time – o’clock, half past, quarter past and quarter to. Once this is mastered, try reading the time to the nearest 5 minutes.
• Practise using coins to make totals in different ways and try to calculate how much change you could get.
• Get measuring – use rulers, weighing scales and measuring jugs.
Time to be creative
• Try to include some time for drawing, painting, collage, model making, creating music etc. too.
Many children will be using the internet during school closures and it is important to be vigilant and aware to keep safe online.
Please refer to this Keeping Safe Online document for guidance.
Gloucestershire County Council Online Resources for Parents – Includes resources support for the following: mental health and wellbeing, curriculum, reading, writing, STEM, culture & creativity, PE & sport, SEN and geography & history.
BBC Bitesize KS1 Specific Lessons
Launch of the Oak National Academy online classroom and resource hub
Fun games and teaching resources about microbes and antibiotics
Government guidance on helping primary school aged children learn at home
Government guidance on helping children with special educational needs and disabilities learn at home
Learning About Online Safety at Home – Activity Packs
Integra Schools and South Gloucestershire Council Home Learning Resources
Year 2 Home Learning Pack
Blue Peter on YouTube
CBBC on YouTube
Fitness & Wellbeing
Joe Wicks (Body Coach TV) Kids Workouts on YouTube
Muddy Puddle – for ideas for fun outdoor learning
Cosmic Kids Yoga on YouTube – offers fantastic yoga workouts combined with stories, e.g. Yoga taught through Harry Potter, Trolls or Moana. Some videos include dance and mindfulness time too.
Y2 1-2-21 All About Shabbat PowerPoint
Y2 1-2-21 Shabbat Table Activity
Y2 1-2-21 WALT Recognise How the Jewish People Celebrate the Shabbat
Y2 25-1-21 Tuesday Judaism Definition Cards
Y2 25-1-21 Tuesday Judaism Knowledge
Y2 25-1-21 Tuesday WALT Recognise Special Objects and People in the Jewish Faith
Y2 18-1-21 Judaism Shema PowerPoint – RE
Y2 18-1-21 Shema questions – RE
Y2 22-2-21 Explorers Finding the South Pole
Y2 8-2-21 Monday – Friday Penguin and Polar Bear Facts
Y2 8-2-21 Monday Inuit People PowerPoint
Y2 8-2-21 Monday Plan a Report
Y2 8-2-21 Wednesday Inuit People Comprehension
Y2 8-2-21 Thursday Phonics PowerPoint – ge
Y2 1-2-21 The Runaway Iceberg Story and Questions
Y2 1-2-21 Oceans PowerPoint
Y2 1-2-21 Ocean Labelling Worksheet
Y2 1-2-21 dje PowerPoint
Y2 1-2-21 Words Ending in dge Spelling Activity
Y2 25-1-21 Continents PowerPoint
Y2 25-1-21 Monday Continents Map Labelling
Y2 25-1-21 Penguin Fact File
Y2 25-1-21 Polar Animal Fact Sheet – Comparing
Y2 25-1-21 Polar Bear Fact File
Y2 25-1-21 Thursday Year Two Phonics
Y2 18-1-21 Story Mountain – Monday
Y2 18-1-21 Arctic Animals Habitat Worksheet
Y2 18-1-21 Arctic Animals Habitats PowerPoint
Y2 18-1-21 Phonics a-e – Thursday
FGR Joy of Moving Winter Games Pack
Atlas Sports YouTube Channel – Regular videos and activities, etc.
Wellbeing Take Notice Activity
Wellbeing Activity Plan
Wellbeing Canal and River Yoga
How to look after your mental health during the Coronavirus outbreak
Action for Children – Mental health resources and information
Young Minds – ‘Take Time Out’
Mind – Information for young people
Kooth – Free, safe and anonymous online support for young people
Action for Happiness – Find three good things each day
Everybody Worries – A picture book for children who are worried about Coronavirus
Wellbeing Dice Challenge – Complete the challenge sheet with activities and ideas to improve your wellbeing
Sportshall Home Pentathlon
Stroud District Sports Games Activity Parent Pack
Facts4Life ‘Work for Home Learning’ Resources
Thank you for your continued support.
Miss Bahia and Mrs O’Connell