Leonard's Learning Resources
Here you will find Y2 class learning resources and relevant information to view and download. Please check this page regularly for updates.
• Try to include some story time where your child is read aloud to by an adult or an older child.
• Check out Oxford Owl as you can sign up to read e-books for free and these are matched to book bands too.
• Nessy is a wonderful resource to help your child with reading and spelling and they are currently offering 8 weeks of free access. Sign up at http://www.nessy.com/free-trial/signup – this is highly recommended!
• Phonics Play is also offering free access to phonics games if you enter the username march20 and the password home.
• Spelling key words is tricky so as much practise as possible please! Children can practise writing these in many ways, e.g. making playdough letters, ‘painting’ them outside using water instead of paint, etching them in a sand tray etc.
• Practise forming letters correctly – especially ensuring that the letters are sat on the line, that all the small letters are the same height and that the tall letters are all the same height too, and twice the height of the small letters.
• Complete the enclosed short writing tasks or write for many different purposes, e.g. write a recipe or a letter for a friend, write a story or a poem.
• When writing, Year 2 children need to:
o Spell words using their phonic knowledge and spell key words from the Year 1 list correctly.
o Use capital letters at the start of EVERY sentence and for names.
o Use full stops, exclamation marks, question marks and commas in lists.
o Use adjectives to describe nouns and therefore make their writing much more exciting.
o Extend their sentences using conjunctions, e.g. and, so, but, because, or, if, when, until.
o Read their writing back and edit it to make sure that it includes the above features.
• Help children to mark their work and talk to them about any mistakes they have made.
• Practise Times Tables Rockstars regularly (their username and password is on their Reading Record) – www.ttrockstars.com
• Practise reading the time – o’clock, half past, quarter past and quarter to. Once this is mastered, try reading the time to the nearest 5 minutes.
• Practise using coins to make totals in different ways and try to calculate how much change you could get.
• Get measuring – use rulers, weighing scales and measuring jugs.
Time to be creative
• Try to include some time for drawing, painting, collage, model making, creating music etc. too.
It is important to be vigilant and aware to keep your child safe online. Please refer to this Keeping Safe Online document for guidance.
Gloucestershire County Council Online Resources for Parents – Includes resources support for the following: mental health and wellbeing, curriculum, reading, writing, STEM, culture & creativity, PE & sport, SEN and geography & history.
BBC Bitesize KS1 Specific Lessons
Launch of the Oak National Academy online classroom and resource hub
Fun games and teaching resources about microbes and antibiotics
Learning About Online Safety at Home – Activity Packs
Fitness & Wellbeing
Cosmic Kids Yoga on YouTube – offers fantastic yoga workouts combined with stories, e.g. Yoga taught through Harry Potter, Trolls or Moana. Some videos include dance and mindfulness time too.